Willunga Post Offices

Operating Dates:

1839 –

There have been five post offices in Willunga starting before 1841 down to the present day (nearly 180 years). In 1841 the Willunga Post office was one of just six post offices in South Australia. The overland telegraph to Melbourne (via Willunga) was completed in July 1858. The Post Department and the Telegraph Branch amalgamated in 1870 to become the Post and Telegraph Department.

1. Post Office in the Courthouse Reserve (1839-1849)
The Mounted constables resident at Willunga also acted as the postmaster between about 1839 and 1849.

2. Post Office at Willunga House 1 St Peters Terrace (1849-1858)
Mr. Henry Malpas (1849-1858)

3. Post Office and Telegraph Station 62 High Street (1858-1915)
Mr. Henry Pounsett (1858-1891),
Miss Esther Sadler (1891-1901),
Mrs. Annie Isabelle Shoobridge (1901-1905),
Miss Theresa Glenie (1905-1915),

4. Post Office 4 High Street (1915 to 2023)
Miss Theresa Glenie (1915-1917).
Miss Margaret Work ( -1935).
Mr. E. Howarth (1935-1949),
Mr. J.H. Cain (1951-1954),
Mr. R.E Flint (1954-1963),
Mr. R. W. Carroll (1963-1964),
Mr. E.M. Vaughan (1964-1968),
Mr. J.M. Black (1968-1971),
Mr. A. Moyle (1971- )

5. Post Office 8 Hill Street (2023 –

 

References:

Search Our Web Pages