Jacobs, Lilini (Linie) Inkerman

Date of Birth/Death:

1860/1916

Born 22nd April 1860, in Pennsylvania, North America, Linie came to South Australia at the age of four with his family. Following his school days, he accepted an engagement to carry rails from Willunga to Victor Harbor. This was done on horseback, and he continued with the appointment for 12 months. He then entered the commercial world, in the employ of Castle’s General Store, 3 High Street, later H.A. & W. Goode, General Storekeepers, Willunga, where he obtained a thorough acquaintance with trade details, during the 24 years spent with this firm. Subsequently in 1899, he decided to launch into business on his own account.

The premises at 8 Hill Street, were owned by Thomas Lasscock, and had not previously been used other than as two semi-detached dwellings. Consequently, the conversion to a business of one half of this building entailed considerable work and enterprise. Linie was vitally interested in civic affairs of the town. He was Chairman of the District Council for several years, and it was during this time that he became chiefly instrumental in securing the Goodwood to Willunga Railway, which opened on 20 January 1915. He was a committee member of the Willunga Show/Agricultural and Horticultural Society, Member of Willunga Rifle Club from its inception, steward of the Racing Club, President of the Willunga Football Club (early days) and Cricket Clubs, President of the Southern Football Association, President of the Progress Association, Justice of the Peace, a member of the Masonic Lodge and the Oddfellows Lodge. He was also on the rescue team when the Star of Greece was wrecked on 13 July 1888 near Port Willunga.

Linie was married three times. His first wife was Sarah Gepp (1861-1885), who had one son:

  • Howard James Jacobs (1883-1956) married Fanny Blanch Richards at Willunga in 1905.

His second wife was Fanny Chenoweth (1863-1897), who gave birth to:

  • Laurie Inkermann (1893-1894)
  • Elizabeth Reta/Rita (1894-1975) married Edwin Dennis Paterson at Willunga in 1920.
  • Annie Eugenia (1896-1896)

His third wife was to Ethel Elsie Morey (1872-1946) who had four daughters:

  • Constance Emilie/Emily (1902-1984) married Basil Gladstone Dunstan at St Matthews Church, Kensington in 1926
  • Eunice Annie (1905-1988) married William Eric Jones at St Stephens Church, Willunga in 1926. (The newspaper death notice notes she died as McKinlay formerly Jones)
  • Beatrix Elsie (1906-?)
  • Valerie Jeanette (1909-1995) married Lionel Diversion Hoffmann at Henley Beach in 1937

After much illness and having built up a good business in the 17 years, Linie died 19 March 1916 aged 53 years, and was buried at St Stephens Cemetery Willunga. Ironically, the old St Stephen’s Church had fallen into disrepair, which was regretted by the people of Willunga. A collection was taken up to repair it. Linie was one of the collectors, and his was the first funeral service to be conducted in the refurbished church.

Memory: Lilini Jacobs installed the town weighbridge (now dismantled) early in the 1900s in response to the demand for such a facility. It was situated in front of his Willunga Store. It was purchased by the Willunga Council, probably about 1916, after his death.

References:

Adapted from “Surnames IJ” Vol 40-47and compiled by Constance Dunstan.

FlickrID=33200368894

1885 ‘Family Notices’, The Express and Telegraph, 8 May, p. 2., http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article208347401

1892 ‘Family Notices’, The Express and Telegraph, 12 August, p. 2., http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article208520338

1897 ‘Family Notices’, The Advertiser, 1 December, p. 4., http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article35098564

1916 ‘CONCERNING PEOPLE.’, The Register, 23 March, p. 4., http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article59630179 [Obituary of Lilini Jacobs]

Search Our Web Pages