Bible Christian Manse, 39 Aldinga Road, Willunga

The cottage that is set back from the street was originally the Bible Christian manse. It was built of random stone with brick quoins and detailing and retains many of its original features. It was built in about 1856, conveniently located at the rear of the Bible Christian Chapel (now demolished). The first resident Minister was Mr James Roberts.

Some of the Bible Christian ministers who lived in the manse were James Way, J Foster, C Tresise, J Stoyel, J Trewin, Thomas Piper (1881-1883), William Richards (1884-1886), J Dingle (1887-1889), T Hillam (1890-1892), John Raymont (1893-1897) and W F Penrose (1897-1899).

The building was no longer used as the manse after Methodist Union in 1900. It then reverted to private use. From the early 1900s it was the home of blacksmith Oliver Waye and his family. Oliver was a partner in Waye Bros Blacksmith and Wheelright business further up St Andrews Terrace.

In front of the cottage was the site of the Bible Christian Chapel, built and opened here in 1855 and used as a church until it closed in 1890 as a result of Methodist Union. It was used as a Billiard Saloon in the 1920s and was demolished in the 1930s.

This building is on the City of Onkaparinga’s local heritage list (SA Heritage Places database #5469)

References:

R Baxendale and F Lush Willunga Walks Willunga National Trust Willunga 2010 (1989)

Search Our Web Pages