Bootmaker’s Shop and Residence, 17 Aldinga Road, Willunga

Also known as Cobbler’s Cottage.

Built in 1856 for William Joseph Bott who, with his second wife Mary, set up a successful boot-making business here. William had been a shoe-maker in Brigstock in Northamptonshire before coming to SA in 1855 as a widower with 3 dependent children. He married Mary Patrick in 1856 in Adelaide and they decided to open a bootmaking business in Willunga. The shop opened in the same year.

Bott employed his son Thomas and future son-in-law William Illman to help him. William Bott’s daughter Lucy married William Illman in 1864 – they moved into the cottage attached to the bootmaker’s shop. Her parents William and Mary Bott moved into their new home at 43 Aldinga Road.

As a staunch member of the Wesleyan Methodist Church, William Illman collected money for the bell later placed in the gum tree in St. Jude’s St. William and Lucy Illman bought the house and boot-making business from her father William Bott in 1869 and continued to run the business for more than twenty years. Sometime between 1895 and 1897 William and Lucy moved from Willunga to 11 Clyde Street, Parkside.

The Lister family lived in the cottage in the 1930s when Dick Lister was Officer-in-charge at Kyeema Prison Farm at Kuitpo. It was converted to a Thai restaurant (Ampika’s Kitchen) which closed in 2014. It is now the Cobbler’s Cottage Bed and Breakfast.

This building is on the City of Onkaparinga’s local heritage list (SA Heritage Places database #5466)

References:

Research Room reports, Willunga National Trust.
R Baxendale & F Lush Willunga Walks Willunga National Trust Willunga 2010 (1989).

Search Our Web Pages