Butcher’s Shop and Residence, 17 High Street, Willunga

For over a century this was a Willunga butcher’s shop.

David Beattie opened his butchering business here in about 1855 and sold it to Samuel Vickery in 1866. Beattie continued to work at the Butcher’s shop until his death in 1903. In 1903 the business passed to Lewis Foreman and later to his son Ron Foreman, until it closed in 1955.

A slaughter-yard at the rear of the allotment was in use until the 1930s. Large slate slabs lined the floors and walls of the butcher’s shop. A large cellar, slate floors and carved slate mantelpiece (attributed to Thomas Dennis Jackson) are of interest. Note also the original slab slate verandah at the front entrance.

The original Foreman residence beside the shop became a real estate office, then a pet shop from 1979 to 1984. Roger and Peggy Liminton renovated the butchers shop and opened Willunga Antiques in the mid 1970s – the business was then sold to Bob and Virginia Bastian, then Nick van Vliet from 1991 to 2009. Now the shop and residence house De Rose Cafe and Hither and Yon cellar door, respectively.

This building is on the City of Onkaparinga’s local heritage list (SA Heritage Places database #5480)

References:

1866 ‘Advertising‘, Adelaide Observer 17 November, p. 2. , viewed 01 Mar 2024,
1903 ‘Advertising‘, The Advertiser 10 September, p. 2. , viewed 01 Mar 2024,
R Baxendale and F Lush Willunga Walks Willunga National Trust Willunga 2010 (1989).

Search Our Web Pages