Cottage, 19 St Judes Street, Willunga

In 1858 Joseph Finke paid rates on unimproved land (with no house) at lot 92 (now 19 St Judes Street) in the township of Willunga. In October 1861 Joseph Finke advertised his house at 19 St Judes Street for sale describing it as a “Two storey house and garden. The house is built of stone, roofed with slate” (Adelaide Observer 26 Oct 1861:1). While the house has subsequently been reroofed with galvanized iron, it was almost certainly built of stone in a North German style by, or for, Joseph Finke sometime between 1858 and 1861 with a separate kitchen and cellar at the rear. It has the traditional high-pitched roof and half panel casement front windows since replaced with sash windows. Its low windows and doors provide space for an attic room above.

The next owner and occupant was Andrew O’Brien, a coach driver for Cobb and Co. From 1885, Elizabeth Jackson (née Lewsey) and her family lived here, the first of three generations of the Jackson family to call it home. Elizabeth came to live in the house with 4 young children after the early death of her husband George a storekeeper at Hawker. Her parents at McLaren Vale and her widowed mother-in-law provided much-needed support, as did her widowed sisters Alma and Alice, all of whom lived nearby.

Alma (Couchman) and Alice Jackson had been similarly widowed with young families to look after. Elizabeth’s parents-in-law William and Jane Jackson owned the “The Grange” farm on Jackson’s Hill Road near Willunga.

This building is on the City of Onkaparinga’s local heritage list (SA Heritage Places database #5513)

References:

1861 ‘Advertising‘, Adelaide Observer 26 October, p. 1. , viewed 21 Feb 2024,
R Baxendale and F Lush Willunga Walks Willunga National Trust Willunga 2010 (1989)

Search Our Web Pages