Cottage, 37 High Street, Willunga

Also known as Citrus Cottage.

The cottage on the street frontage was built in the early 1860s, with a slate roof, slate floors and a chimney at either end of the roof ridge. The original appearance is shown in an 1863 photo of the opening of the Oddfellows’ Lodge next door. A verandah was later added. Refurbishment (in the 1970s?) saw the roof re-clad with corrugated iron.

From at least 1907 to 1912 Mrs. McConnochie had a haberdashery shop in the front room. In 1978 it was a residence owned by Mrs T Hailstone. It was Citrus Cottage Bed and Breakfast and is now a private residence.

This building is on the City of Onkaparinga’s local heritage list (#5485).

References:

Ruth Baxendale and Faye Lush Willunga Walks 2010 (1989).

Search Our Web Pages