Dawe residence, 17 St Andrews Tce, Willunga

This elegant two storey house with high pitched slate roof is reputed to have been built around 1855 by George Sara, the leading builder of the district, for Sampson Dawe the ex-owner of the Delabole Slate Quarry.

At that time the land (Lot 62) was may have been owned by Edward Moore or it may have been leased (or sold) through Edward Moore’s agent(s). Henry Malpas, storekeeper of Willunga, registered his ownership of Lot 62, at the corner of Moore St and St Andrews Terrace (now 17 St Andrews Terrace), on 14 Jan 1868, but he may have purchased it some time before 1868.

George Sara, the younger, builder of Willunga, then purchased Lot 62 from Henry Malpas on 5 Feb 1868 and he sold the property to Sampson Dawe (junior), blacksmith of Willunga, on 26 Aug 1875. The De Caux family owned the property from 1889 to 1914. The house was later owned by Sidney Blacker and his family from 1917 until 1965. Sidney was a son of William Blacker, M.P. and worked for Bagot, Shakes and Lewis in Willunga.

The elaborate balcony with its cast iron lacework balustrade was added in the 1880s. Note the decorated bargeboards and original Georgian style windows. The stone wall on the front and side boundary is a recent (2013) addition.

This building is on the State Heritage Register (SA Heritage Places database #5270)

References:

R Baxendale & F Lush Willunga Walks Willunga National Trust Willunga 2010 (1989).

Search Our Web Pages