Hailey’s Cottage, 23 St Lukes Street, Willunga

An early cottage from the 1860s; originally two pug rooms with two stone rooms added to the front circa 1905 and a bathroom and bedroom added at the rear in the 1940s. Significant renovation and extension in 2013 has retained many of the early features.

The cottage was bought for £120 by George Hailstone and Annie Delaney when they married in 1904. George worked at Johnston’s Winery until his early death in 1921. Annie took up dress-making to support her seven children. She died in 1969 aged 84. Their son Malcolm Hailstone went to work at the slate quarries as a teenager, then drove for Briscoe’s Bus service before going into partnership with C B Aldam and Co selling machinery. His brother Bart lived at the Hailstone Butcher’s shop at 29 High Street.

The youngest son Lloyd George Hailstone stayed at home with his mother and lived in the family home until around 2000. In the late 1940s Lloyd delivered mail by contract from Willunga Post Office to Dingabledinga and outlying areas beyond Willunga Hill. His uncle and father were teamsters based in the hills. Lloyd also ran a visiting picture show business which covered Willunga, McLaren Vale, Myponga, McLaren Flat, even Rapid Bay.

This building is on the City of Onkaparinga’s local heritage list (SA Heritage Places database #5517)

References:

Ruth Baxendale and Faye Lush Willunga Walks Willunga National Trust 2010.
Malcolm Hailstone Recollections, interview April 1955 Willunga District Library Service.

Search Our Web Pages