Kain’s Cottage, 8 St Lukes Street, Willunga

Also known as Kane’s Cottage, Cain’s Cottage

The original 4 roomed cottage at the front was the home of Thomas Kain (Cain, Keane, Kane) and his family in the 1850s and 1860s. The Kain family were early Willunga settlers whose 3 acres of wheat and 3 cattle were listed in the Land Returns of 1843. Thomas was a dairyman in Willunga after his marriage to Sarah Heslin in St Joseph’s Catholic Church in 1858. They had five children, one of whom, Michael, became a quarryman and married Pauline Brown.

Descendants understand that members of the Kain/Keane family at times also lived in McCaffrey Cottage in St James Street and in Rowland’s Cottage on the Main Road to McLaren Vale. An early resident referred to 8 St Luke’s Street as Tom Kain’s ‘second’ cottage. The Fox family were later occupants. The cottage has been re-roofed and extended but retains the original brick chimneys and casement window joinery. The pug at the front has been rendered and incised with lines.

This building is on the City of Onkaparinga’s local heritage list (SA Heritage Places database #5515).

References:

Ruth Baxendale and Faye Lush Willunga Walks Willunga National Trust 2010 (1989)

Search Our Web Pages