Railway Water Tower, Aldinga Road, Willunga

This 25,000 gallon water tower stands at what was the terminus of the Willunga Railway line at the Willunga Railway Station. The £397 contract for its construction was awarded to SA Reinforced Concrete in September 1917, two years after the line opened. It is a circular concrete tower with an elevated water tank, finished with random render and dressed concrete trim to the small openings.

Nearby is the pit which housed the original 60 foot turntable. This became obsolete when it could no longer accommodate the larger engines which were introduced in the late 1920s and early 1930s. It was replaced by a turning triangle of new tracks which were laid to the west of the railway station. The turntable itself was removed in 1941-1942 and installed at Marino, but the pit remains. The Engine Running Shed which once stood near the Water Tower has been removed but a standpipe and hydrant remain. A wrought iron gate remains near Aldinga Road and elements of an iron fence survive along the Western border of the site.

In about 2016 the tower was in poor condition and unsafe. It was renovated by the City of Onkaparinga with the original water tank at the top of the tower being replaced by a ‘ghost impression’.

This building is on the City of Onkaparinga’s local heritage list (SA Heritage Places database #5443)

References:

Habitable Architects Willunga Rail Terminus Conservation Plan 2000.
McDougall & Vines, Willunga District Heritage Survey 1997 https://data.environment.sa.gov.au/Content/heritage-surveys/2-Willunga-District-Heritage-Survey-1997.pdf
Willunga National Trust – papers and documents available at the Willunga Courthouse.

Search Our Web Pages