Self’s Cottage, 5 St Peters Tce, Willunga

This cottage was known as Self’s Cottage from at least the early 1900s onwards but was built much earlier, in the 1840s. The small double-fronted brick dwelling, originally of four rooms, sits close to the footpath alignment and forms a pair with its neighbour at 3 St Peters Terrace. Together they maintain the early streetscape character of the terrace.

The red bricks were manufactured locally by Atkinson’s brickyard, one of the earliest industries in Willunga which, in 1840, advertised bricks for sale at £3-5-0 per thousand. The two cottages were built in the 1840s by Henry Malpas who owned this land on part section 248. They were next door to his General Store, Post Office, home and stables at 1 St Peters Tce. He intended them to be rented out as cottages/shops to settlers wishing to set up business in this prime location next to his own business.

When Henry died in 1910, the ownership of numbers 1, 3 and 5 St Peters Tce passed to his older son James Stanley Malpas, followed by grandson Percy Godfrey Malpas (1894-1957) in 1940. The family of Charles Self junior rented the cottage from the Malpas family and its subsequent owners for many years, probably until Alice, the last of the unmarried Self siblings, died in 1953.

After remaining in Malpas family ownership for over 100 years, the properties at 1, 3 and 5 St Peters Tce (including the original Malpas home/store) were sold by Percy Godfrey Malpas in 1949 to Michael Rhatigan, a contractor. Rhatigan then subdivided the land and houses and sold number 5 to Henrietta Goldsworthy in 1961. Ownership then passed to Keith and Jennifer Peterson in 1985, followed by Bruce and Michelle Cameron in 1991 and Robin and June Seville in 1993, followed by several more recent changes of ownership.

The small cottage itself has substantially the same street-front appearance as when it was built. Additions have been built on either side, including a substantial two-storied extension. A photograph in the 1985 Heritage Survey shows that, at that time, the building was rendered. The render has since been removed, re-exposing the face red brick which is the significant element in the construction of this small dwelling.

This building is on the City of Onkaparinga’s local heritage list (SA Heritage Places database #5520)

References:

SAILIS (online) https://sailis.lssa.com.au/ CT 2013/34.
City of Onkaparinga Local Heritage places.
Local history folders Willunga National Trust.
Ruth Baxendale and Faye Lush Willunga Walks Willunga National Trust 2010.

Search Our Web Pages