Shop, 13 High Street, Willunga

Also known as the Primitive Methodist Manse.

Henry Harker was a wheelwright and blacksmith. In the late 1850s Henry Harker lived in the cottage at 13 High Street (Lot 48) (later the Primitive Methodist Manse) while he conducted his “smithy” business across the street at Lot 56. Around 1860 the house was purchased by Rev. William Whitefield who lived here with his wife and children during his ministry to the Primitive Methodist Churches at Strout Road McLaren Flat and at 27 High Street in the Willunga township. On his death in 1871 the house passed to his wife until her death in 1895.

John Hockney then lived here while running his boot-making business across the road at the Richards’ Store at 22 High Street. It became a substantial home with lounge, dining room, kitchen, three bedrooms plus and 2 smaller outside bedrooms, an outside wash-house and bathroom, a cellar, well, slate water tanks, large garden with fruit trees and small paddock for the horse. Note – the original slate roof and slate window sills. A few remnant almond and fruit trees from Henry Harker’s once extensive garden still survive at the rear.

In the 1980s the premises were shared by a garden centre and a lawn-mower repair shop. More recently in the 1990s it housed the Willunga Landcare Office and from 2003 until 2018 it was Minko Wines Cellar Door. Russell’s Pizza has been located at the rear for many years and since 2018 has also included the cottage.

This building is on the City of Onkaparinga’s local heritage list (SA Heritage Places database #5479)

References:

R Baxendale and F Lush Willunga Walks Willunga National Trust Willunga 2010.

Search Our Web Pages