Waye Residence, 8 St Andrews Terrace, Willunga

Constructed in approximately 1888.

Home to the Waye family, who conducted the Waye Bros blacksmith shop (and later garage) next door at 6 St Andrews Terrace. The business was originally owned by their father Thomas Waye who bought it from Sampson Dawe. Blacksmiths were very important to horse travelling folk in the 19th century. Brothers Oliver and ‘Morgy’ (Marcena George) Waye ran a comprehensive business as blacksmiths, wheel-wrights, coach-builders, mechanics, service station proprietors, undertakers and embalmers, farm implement agents and insurance agents. As the means of transportation changed, so did the business, eventually becoming a garage for motor vehicles once they appeared from the 1900’s.

The substantial family home was built in the late 1880s as a stone and brick residence with a projecting gable-fronted wing (built at the same time rather than being added later). It is unusual in its asymmetrical design as most residences in Willunga were built in the simple, symmetrically fronted style originally and the projecting gable fronted wings were usually added at a later date.

This building is on the City of Onkaparinga’s local heritage list (SA Heritage Places database #5499).

References:

R Baxendale & F Lush Willunga Walks Willunga National Trust Willunga 2010 (1989).

Search Our Web Pages