Willunga Hill Motors, cnr. of Brookman and Old Willunga Hill Roads, Willunga

Willunga Hill Motors was situated on the top of Willunga Hill, at the junction of Brookman Rd and Old Willunga Hill Rd. Opposite was the separate Willunga Hill Kiosk. This business was established by Geoff and Jill Easton in 1955. The land where it stood was bought as a 2 1/2 acre block from Wilfred Aldam in 1954 for £200.

The garage was built by Geoff in 1955 and opened for business in September 1955. The business name was registered in October 1958. The garage was originally close to the Victor Harbor road but the road was re-aligned in 1963 resulting in the large area in front of the garage. The garage survived the devastating bushfire of January 1957 when much of the surrounding bush was burnt. Geoff was also the local RAA contractor. Geoff and Jill originally lived in the rear of the garage but in 1963 they built a new cream brick house on the corner of Range Road and Brookman Road.

Additions made to the rear of this house in 1972 used surplus bricks from the Adelaide Festival Centre as a feature wall. Geoff built the tennis court himself. They had three children; Wendy, Cheryl and Karen, who attended the Willunga Primary and High Schools.

Geoff Easton was an early Treasurer of the Willunga Golf Club when it was being set up and was responsible for the construction of the 9th hole including the original wooden bridge over the creek. He was also active in the Yundi CFS. Jill Easton was active in the Willunga Primary School committee and worked in the Willunga sale yards on Aldinga Road, providing lunch for the patrons. They sold the business, house, tennis court and dam as one parcel of land in 1975.

References:

Information provided by the Easton family, 2005

Search Our Web Pages