Willunga Railway Station, 8 Railway Terrace, Willunga

The Adelaide to Willunga Railway line was opened in Willunga on 20 January 1915 by the Governor, Sir Henry Galway. A special train for the school children of the district left Willunga at 8.30 am for Brighton, picking up scholars and teachers at stations along the way and returning in time for the opening ceremony. A gala sports and social event was held in the nearby Recreation Grounds. The first goods train left Adelaide on 23 January 1915 carrying timber, joinery and galvanised iron for a running shed, engine driver’s cabin, goods sheds and coal stage to be built at the Willunga terminal.

Alexander Jefferies was the first Station-Master at Willunga, living in the Station-Masters’ residence on Station Road. The first Guard was Harry Prior who came from the Pt Pirie railway line to take up the appointment. The line proved unprofitable and in the 1960s the decision was made to close it. The last passenger train ran in April 1969. After the closure of the line, the Station building was converted for use by local sporting groups. The line was dismantled in 1972 and the Railway Water Tower is still standing near Aldinga Road. A linear recreation park was developed along its route and officially opened in 1986.

This building is on the City of Onkaparinga’s local heritage list (SA Heritage Places database #5443)

References:

Baxendale, R & Lush, F Willunga Walks Willunga National Trust Willunga 2010 (1989)
Willunga National Trust – papers and documents available at the Willunga Courthouse.

Search Our Web Pages